11x15 watercolor on 140 lb Kilimanjaro paper, American Journey paints from my photo taken in March up on Sierra Blanca. I added the warm colored bushes here that were not there for added interest. This road seemed to be going off the mountain side into nowhere.
Friday, October 30, 2009
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
22x30 watercolor on Saunders 140 lb cold press, painted on 16 October at Frank Francese's workshop, Lubbock Texas. An imaginary scene, it was done using 2" brush, American Journey paints on dry paper, no pencil drawn shapes, layering color on top of color quickly in about 2 hours. The subject is actually the clouds not the buildings or cows.
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Pencil sketch over collage elements, 11x15 matboard, using torn paperback pages from Winds of War and torn tissue toilet seat covers (they make the best texture for watermedia) from the Red Lobster. Thanks RL! I used matte medium to adhere these then applied gesso at random and let dry.
Finished 1st demo watercolor collage, Pears on Pepper Plate, with ink on AF Crescent matboard demo in about 1.5 hours. This is posted on WetCanvas that you can see here.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
This watercolor is 22x15 inches painted wet in wet with Daniel Smith paints and is the one juried into a national show by Don Andrews. A friend and I want to look up his workshops and find one to attend next year. Contact me for more information about this work at email@example.com
Saturday, October 17, 2009
15x11 watercolor, Daniel Smith paints, lots of negative painting with no pencil drawing only layering of colors: Quinacridone gold, burnt orange, magenta, violet, coral, Ultramarine blue, mauve, and aureolin. I used a small palette knife to make branch lines across the composition.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
This is the bad floral from a few years ago ABOVE.
30x22 inches, a pair of Holstein cows, cropped, drawn over existing latex acrylic pink/white floral with black Tombow brush pen. Next I put in black using ink. With Caran D'Ache watersoluble crayons I scribbled blues for the sky and greens for grass under their feet, adding water, letting dry, reapplying crayons. This is at the 2 hour mark. I left the abstract floral stems/leaves in foreground but might have to glaze over them later. I kind of like them as the whole composition is unusual and strange. They are ready for Hollywood!
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Sunday, October 4, 2009
This is the painting below with as much paint scrubbed off under tap water in the sink as I could get yesterday.
First painted version from reference photo, courtesy Nusret. Size: 15x22 painted fairly close to the actual hues and design wet in wet watercolor. When almost dry, I scrubbed off all the pigment I could with a sponge and let dry to determine my final design. (See above)