Monday, March 25, 2013

Bluebird - Inktense sketch/ink images

6x6 bluebird sketched with Pigma Micron 01 pen, then Derwent Inktense pencils colored in with water as final application; the first step is shown below sans water.  For the background, I just pulled pigment away from the bird for a soft muted atmospheric approach.


This view is totally different, a rather raw unfinished look which I do like.  I bought the Inktense small set at Jerry's Artarama while in Houston week before last and tried them out with this bird.  The set only has 12 colors so not much variety there.  Manufactured in the UK, I had seen the pencils in use by many artists with some amazing results.  I enjoy trying new art products; you never know what's out there that might just fit the bill.  By the way, the top image above is not that reddish in real life.


3 comments:

DannyB said...

Very beautiful work.

Vernita Hoyt said...

Beautiful. I'm glad you are enjoying the Inktense pencils. I love them in my own work too. I did a series of Inktense paintings in miniature a few years ago. They were good sellers. I really like what you are doing with the Inktense.

Christiane Fortin said...

You are such a busy bee Kay. Everything is so beautiful.

Thirsty Bluetit Bird

6x6 watercolor and Brusho done last week of a thirsty blue tit or bluetit bird. I've used this same photo and painted the bird larger t...