Monday, July 19, 2010

Cub Scouts

16 x 20.5 mixed media on matboard. After covering the support with matte medium, I let it dry, then spritzed white Krylon webbing spray. I drew the bears with various Caran D'Ache watersoluble crayons, then applied watercolors as I usually paint. The webbing provided a unique texture to paint over, so this was a thrill, and I enjoyed the variations in background and foreground that came from the matte medium where it did not completely cover the mat. Negative painting done for grassy areas and in around the cubs and mama. Photo courtesy WetCanvas reference.

2 comments:

Nancy Goldman said...

I love this. I've never heard of webbing spray but now I'm going to have to find some.

Kay Smith said...

Thanks Nancy!
JoAnn Fabrics online has the Krylon spray in black, white, gold, and silver. I was unable to find any in the craft stores.

Checkerboard Northern Saw-whet Owl

6x6 watercolor using White Nights paints on Masters Touch sketchbook 80 lb paper done week before last. I used some of my saw-whet owl phot...