Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Kinky Sunflower

12x9 watercolor over ink line (Micron 01 pen) on Strathmore 140 lb cold press paper in mixed media journal done over the past weekend.  Deciding on a warm color scheme I used the following exercise where you choose a color then paint three shapes with it of small, medium, and large using the paint color only once.  Mix some together if you have to and you can use 1-2 cool accents.  I did not include any patterning using a gold felt tip marker (for warm themed work, silver for cool) but might add later.  There were more yellows, golds, oranges and reds in the paint drawer than I thought I had.  Inspiration photo and initial ink sketch are below.


COPYRIGHT 2020 Kay Smith

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

This is amazing and beautiful. Intricate.
I took a day off and you have 4 posts! I like the llama. The cat looks to be a handful. Nice work on the cyclamen. Pretty.

Daisy Bee

6x6 watercolor and ink line in Masters Touch sketchbook 80 lb paper done last week for an online challenge featuring insects on flowers or ...