Saturday, November 6, 2010

Today's Demo - Apples in Watercolor

22x13 watercolor on Saunders 140 lb cold press paper, titled Applecations for my class demonstration.

Using a fresh apple I drew it 3 different ways in a vertical format, then drew a rectangle letting the top and bottom fruit overlap edges. With primaries Permanent Rose, Arylide Yellow, and Prussian Blue I painted a wet-in-wet wash over the design. After drying, I began to color and tint apples and inside rectangle from light to dark keeping a high key image. In wet areas I sanded watersoluble colored pencils for texture. Lastly I brushed in negative shapes for leaves, apples, and stems throughout.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful piece - makes me think of a silk scarf.

Tessa Lake said...

What a lovely painting to come from such a simple subject. Beautiful!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its lovely. The pastel colours work so well but it has such strength as well. The contrasting rectangle works well to pull in the viewer.

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is such a beautiful painting with a most effective composition. The combination of geometric shapes and the negative painting adds a very special dimension to a simple subject. Really well done!

Kay Smith said...

Thanks so much for your comments. I appreciate it.

JANE MINTER said...

looks a wonderful demo kay... very attractive ..love the bite too

Carole Berry said...

Kay I love this piece. Very nice/
it needs to be a card. It would sell nicely Carole

Party Time Parrot Tulip

9x6 watercolor using Rosa brand paints made in Ukraine on Winsor & Newton 140 lb cold press paper done earlier this month. With this va...