Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Roses Abstract in mixed watermedia

15x22 watercolor, acrylic, spray paint on Arches 140 lb cold press paper.  Large circular plastic lids were placed onto the paper then drawn around and negative spaces painted.  Color was splashed on and stretched cotton gauze cheesecloth was laid on top; color was touched to its edges.  This was allowed to dry.  Meanwhile I "found" rose shapes, stems, and leaves then developed those.  Lastly I stamped a rubber circular stamp onto dry paper for detail.  This one has a lacy, Victorian feel and is a romantic painting.

3 comments:

Wildflowerhouse said...

This is gorgeous. The colors just dance for me. I must ask, did you leave the cheesecloth on or remove it?

Kay Smith said...

Thank you Sharon. No, I removed it after it dried and really like the textural marks it makes.

Christiane Fortin said...

Kay I really like this. You never cease to amaze me. When do you work or sleep.

Thirsty Bluetit Bird

6x6 watercolor and Brusho done last week of a thirsty blue tit or bluetit bird. I've used this same photo and painted the bird larger t...