Thursday, August 7, 2014

Texas Cow - a reworked watercolor on Yupo

 
AFTER

20.5x20 watercolor on Yupo, a reworked piece today from the image below which I flipped upside down then drew in pencil the cow's outline.  Since the red, white, and blue are Texas flag colors I decided to play up the dark indigo or navy blue and have larger amounts of white with touches of red.  The callas below were cut about 5-6 inches and that image was featured on yesterday's blog as a horizontal almost abstract design.  The cow image was inspired by one seen in a gift catalog that was mass produced, so stay tuned for more.  Yupo is medium weight.  I thought the white calla curl at upper left seen below would make a nice nostril. Many of the pigments were opaques to get them to adhere to the support; in other areas I simply lifted all the paint.  Pattern areas were made using a plastic strawberry basket.  Size of callas below was 26x20.



 
BEFORE

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy seeing your re-do paintings, Kay. This one I loved as the calla abstract. Very unique. I have to say though that the re-do into the cow was just as unique. Very nicely done. You have a gift of seeing the potential in paintings!

Brown Chicken Collage

5.5x7.5 mixed media on mat board completed around first of the month using watercolor cut pieces and other paper using mat medium. COPYRIGH...