Thursday, May 23, 2019

Prairie Barn

6x7.25 watercolor on Saunders 140 lb cold press paper, an imaginary country barn landscape done today.  Yesterday I did two separate pours of colors across a very wet support.  First orange trio of colors was a mix of organic vermilion, cadmium yellow, and raw umber (all sedimentary).  Second blue trio was Prussian, lamp black, and ultramarine blue poured across the still wet paper.  Pigments separated with some staining and others granulating in dark areas.  The barn and telephone poles were sketched on dry paper then painted with dry brush.
COPYRIGHT 2019 Kay Smith

2 comments:

Janet said...

I have admired your work on Wetcanvas. I do have a question since I have never tried pouring. Did you pour the dark mixture over the first orange trio? I apologize for my ignorance.

Kay Smith said...

Thank you Janet for commenting. First time for me to try this, and yes, the darks were poured on from the left side on top of the orange mix. Lots of fun and makes for a great sky!

Daisy Bee

6x6 watercolor and ink line in Masters Touch sketchbook 80 lb paper done last week for an online challenge featuring insects on flowers or ...