Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Studio Black Hollyhocks

28x20 watercolor on Lanaquarelle 140 lb hot press paper completed yesterday.  These black hollyhocks grew along the classroom side of my studio along with pink, red, and white ones.  Many colors went into the deep purple almost black hue:  Quinacridones violet and magenta, permanent rose, alizarin crimson, carbazole violet, indigo, UB, thalo green and blue, etc.  Since the blooms were transparent for the most part I used opaques for the background:  Periwinkle, Mint Julep, and Peachy Keen (American Journey).
COPYRIGHT 2020 Kay Smith

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Kay

Liz Lystra said...

I love it Kay

Jo Castillo said...

You know I like Hollyhocks. The rich color in these is amazing.

Kay Smith said...

Thank you all so much!

Fluffy Cat with Orange Markings

8x6 watercolor on 140 lb cold press paper by Masters Touch, a cat pet portrait done earlier in the week. I only had a black and white photo...