Sunday, May 6, 2012

Orange Marmalade Kitty

5.5x9 watercolor on Strathmore 140 lb cold press paper drawn and painted last night then retouched and polished loose ends today.  Part of WetCanvas! Weekend Drawing Event in which you have 2 hours to draw or paint your subject, this current WDE is hosted by Annie in Norfolk, UK.  Her cat Ember, a gray mottled tortoiseshell, was the model, and I've morphed into an orange tabby, working only from a black and white copy.  So no orange tabby photos used.  This lets me pay very close attention to values.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

What a wonderful painting! I love orange tabbys and you captured the expressive look! The eyes are beautiful. What suggestions in getting the values right would you give? thanks!

Kay Smith said...

Thanks Cathy! To get the values spot on, I like to work from a black and white copy rather than colored. As in this orange kitty, she was really gray and soft peach. I was able to discern what ranges of rusty orange to use by looking at my colorless print.

cathyswatercolors said...

This painting is adorable. The crop is great as is the painting.

Thirsty Bluetit Bird

6x6 watercolor and Brusho done last week of a thirsty blue tit or bluetit bird. I've used this same photo and painted the bird larger t...